Thursday, July 26, 2012

So close....

Day #249-
   Still no husband, but I do feel a bit closer to getting him home! I met with an Immigration Attorney and he has, thankfully, agreed to work with us as a pro bono case! I can't tell you how excited and grateful we are. He had contacted Cynthia Lambert, they reporter from The Tribune, asking for our contact information.

   The most relieving that about him helping us out is that I don't have to worry, as much, about the I-601 waiver. I was so anxious about writting it all on my own. I am so lucky and happy to have an attorney helping us out. I can't even express how grateful I am! It was crazy handing over all of the copies and documents I've been working on for the past two years. It was like relinquishing control, and that was a bit scary. It was almost like handing over my baby! But I trust him and know he's here to help.

   Whats funny is that he has a direct email address. So he can email the National Visa Center and actually get a personalized response! Isn't that amazing! No automated emails, such as what I always receive. If there are any questions, he gets an answer within a day or two. I think this is one of the biggest advantages to having an attorney. They may not be able to speed up the process, as I once believed. But, at least, they can get you straight answers and information on your case.


   I ended up having to overnight the $88 AOS fee. They have finally received it, our attorney confirmed. That's very relieving! I was able to pay the $230 DS-230 form fee on line, which was nice! As paying the $88 fee was a nightmare. They've received our AOS package, the forms stating our financial situation, along with the past three years of tax information. But I was notified last week that I needed to send in, yet another, form for my step dad. So that has slowed us down a bit. But they have received both fees and the DS-230. The NVC emailed yesterday stating they hadn't received the form for my step dad yet. I checked and it was delivered this past Saturday. The other annoying thing is each email says "please wait at least 20 days for processing." Hopefully they'll be finding and processing that very soon!

   Once they have the AOS packet, the DS-230 and the two fees all processed, they send it to the US Embassy in Dublin, Ireland. An appointment is set for our interview and a notice is sent out to Gary as to where he can go and get his medical examination. This might cost another pretty penny, but it must be done. We already had it done once before, when we were living here. It cost around $500! But now that examination is found useless, as it's been over a year since the appointment. More money wasted.


   The most frustrating part of the whole situation is that he'll receive his interview but be denied due to his 234 days of overstay. That is when we must submit the I-601 waiver, along with the $585 fee. The processing time has been listed as 2-3 months. However, the new process has just been set in place, so no one really knows. Now all waivers will be processed in America, as oppossed to specific Consulates around the world. We're very happy our waiver isn't going through London! It was one of the most difficult and strict offices in the world.


   Another frustrating thing is that I've been told they'll mail us out the appointment date a month before the actual interview. So when is that going to happen?! And how long is it going to take to process our waiver?! Theres, really, no way of knowing. And that eats me up inside.

   Lately, Chloe keeps saying "lets go see Daddy." So then we have a talk about Ireland and how we had to take the two big planes to get there. I explain to her how much Daddy wants to be with us but its just going to take more time. Everynight I lay awake thinking "should we go back to Ireland for a few months?" One of the problems is the money. I looked on line and it'd be about $2000 for us to both go back, round trip. We still have more Immigration fees to pay and we still have to buy Garys ticket back, once he is granted his visa. We can't afford to go back. We don't have that kind of money.

   I've been considering throwing a fundraiser or using a site I was referred to that asks for donations. I would also have to put my schooling on hold. But being with family is more important than anything. I also believe we may have some credit with Virgin Atlantic, but I don't think its much and we have to fly out before September. This means the tickets will be more expensive, since its summer time. I'm tempted to email them and ask what we can do. Or even what they can offer in such a horrible circumstance as ours. I just want to be with my husband and have my family reunited! Is that too much to ask?

   In the meantime, I've been working on getting letters from family and friends for the I-601 waiver. Its a big favor to ask, but so important. I've also been trying to get a Psy Evualation for myself and our daughter, to show our stress levels from not having Gary with us. It's harder and more expensive than one would think. I can't wait for all of this to be over and Gary to be with us again. It's all so stressful and heartbreaking. I know there are thousands upon thousands of people filing for Immigration. But families shouldn't have to be apart for months to years, at a time. It's just not OK. To leave off on a good note - Tomorrow we're meeting with Hope Hanselman from KSBY! So look for us on the news!
Candance & Chloe

2 comments:

  1. Candance, Chloe is getting an example of what a strong woman really is- whether she knows it or not yet. Someday, when Gary is here and all this turmoil is part of your past, I can see you running a non-profit that assists families in similar predicaments. I get the impression that all the "processors" of this endless paperwork do not see it as people they are processing- people that are counting on them- you'd run circles around them at their own game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Your comment really made my day! I'm so happy that my point is coming across in our blog. I'm writting in hopes to help those out there going through the same horrible process. I do hope to open up some type of non profit or something similar to help those struggling, as we are. Everything happens for a reason. Perhaps this is why!

      Delete