Saturday, May 5, 2012

The Arizona Crackdown

Day #166 -
    Immigration issues are everywhere you look right now! Its a very hot topic and everyone has their own views.

  Our local news, KSBY, had a post on their facebook page asking for peoples opinions on the Arizona crackdown. I really value and respect everyones opinions, rather I agree or not. However, there were people on there who were making quite strong statements when they have no experience with Immigration themselves. Sure, it's easy to yell and rant about illegal immigrants, to complain and say they're here taking our jobs, get them out. But what these people are forgetting is that these illegal immigrants are people too.

    They have families here, friends and lives they've built. Yes, they are here breaking the law but each person has their own story and some come from very poor, dangerous countries. I'm not defending illegal immigrants, I just see the issue in a whole new light now I'm personally going through it. It's certainly not easy or cheap. I am upset at the fact, though, that they are making it easier and easier for illegal immigrants to get their green cards when they've been here for years illegally. But my husband left on his accord, without being deported, and he is now being punished big time for it. It makes no sense to me and really upsets me.

I want to make something very clear before I continue. I did not create this blog to complain or have people feel sorry for myself and my family. I created this blog to try and bring a personal experience to the table. I created this blog to humanize the subject of Immigration. Unfortunately, its been taken to another level, where people don't see the families being torn apart and the struggles they must go through. The negative is often seen more than the humanistic side of the issue and that's very sad. I want people to see and understand what families go through just to have a loved one live with them in America. I've talked to many people about their stories and journeys and many are far worse than ours. It really breaks my heart. I just want to express our struggles in hopes that people will see the problems within our Immigration system and how difficult it is. Maybe, just maybe, this will change something in how our Country goes about treating Immigrants.

My husband is still in Ireland, awaiting our forms to be approved and sent to the National Visa center so we can have his interview schedule. It's a big waiting game. But what makes it worse is that he'll most likely finally reach the interview and be denied. A straight answer for this still isn't quite clear. The Immigration Office in Los Angeles tells us theres a chance he could be allowed his visa, even though he overstayed. But the London office, where the waiver would be sent if hes told to do one, is saying theres no chance and he will have to do the waiver. It's awful how we cant get a straight answer. I guess we'll find out at the interview! That isn't stressful or anything! That's been our biggest problem with this whole process - never getting an honest answer! Hopefully that will change one day and it will become easier for families in the future.

We do have exciting news though! Our local newspaper, The Tribune, might be interested in doing a piece on our story! My good friend Katie and her husband Danny have been through the Immigration struggles, with him being from Scotland. He showed a past co worker our story and they've requested to speak with me. I'm over the moon excited! This would be great exposure and a wonderful way of getting our story heard. Just wanted to end today post on a positive note! Hope you're all having a wonderful day,
Candance & Chloe

4 comments:

  1. Hey Candance, I just wanted to let you know that your family is in my prayers, I can't imagine how hard this must be for you all! Such good news that the paper is wanting to do a story on you, I hope that brings some much needed attention to your unfortunate situation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Hearing from our readers is a great inspiration and lets us know people are reading and care! Your support means a lot to us, thank you again!

      Delete
  2. Candance and Chloe. Best of luck. A united family is so special, and I think that many of us take it for granted until we know what it is to be without.

    My mom married my dad in the 70s. My mom came to the United States from Thailand as a 24 year old student and married my father so that she could stay here. I see no problem with that. They loved each other at the time and would have probably gotten married a few years later anyway. Now they have been married for nearly 40 years, and happen to have two lovely daughters. :)

    Every situation is different. Just think. No green card. No monica and michelle. She would have gone back to Thailand before having my sister and me. I am grateful for my mom's gusto to ask my dad to marry her.

    As a beacon of hope, I'll offer this. There are a lot of strange laws that have existed in this country. Interracial marriage was banned until 1967. Nowadays that sounds so ridiculous, and I take it for granted that if it was 45 years ago i couldn't marry ben. Things change for the better. Remember, love conquers all and you will get there. :)

    Keep smiling Candance. I have my fingers crossed. You are doing great things. You will make things change.

    Monica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im at loss for words monica, and u know that doesnt happen often! Your message was such a big inspiration and Im nearly in tears! Your parents story is remarkable and Im glad your mom proposed!! I dont know what I'd do with a Monica in my life, seriously. Thank you so much for your beautiful words. I actually feel a ton better reading this. And I'll read it everytime I'm down and about to give up hope. I love ya sista!! xoxox

      Delete